Monday July 15, 2013
6 Simple DIY Backyard Ideas
By Callie Leahy
Is your backyard in need of a little DIY attention? Check off that summer to-do list and get crafting with these six simple do-it-yourself backyard ideas.
- Backyard Penny Ball — Put those loose pennies to good use! Glue pennies to a thrift shop bowling ball to add a decorative accent to your backyard. Place penny balls in planters, accent patio steps or at the base of your shade trees to catch the eye of your guests.
- DIY Stacked Herb Garden — Always wanted an herb garden but you don’t have the space? This stacked herb garden puts your favorite must-have herbs all in one vertical planter. Stack five terra cotta pots to achieve this fun look without any of the drilling or hardware required of similar designs.
- Glow in the Dark Pathway — Save on backyard lighting costs with these DIY glow-in-the-dark pathway stones. While the sun is up, these backyard stones look like typical rocks, but they are actually charging up for their night job! Once the sun goes down, you can enjoy the impressive glow of your stone tiles by using a can of glow-in-the-dark Rust-Oleum paint.
- Redwood Flower Frames — Give your fence a facelift this summer without the workout of staining or painting. These flower frames give your fence just a pop of color, accented by the sweet smell of your favorite flowers. Add weatherproof lighting to the bottom of your frames for a subtle outdoor glow.
- Bubble Fountain — Turn your backyard into a serene outdoor escape with the quiet white noise of a babbling backyard fountain. The beauty of DIY fountains? You can pick the design! Whether you upcycle the old planter sitting in your garage or purchase brand new ones from your local home improvement store, this weekend project is ideal for any budget.
- Outdoor Day Bed — This outdoor day bed tutorial comes in two parts — one for the DIY carpenter and another for the DIY seamstress. If making your own cushions isn’t in the stars, this platform would be great for adding a sea of bargain outdoor cushions to create a more bohemian vibe.
Tags: DIY backyard projects, DIY fountain, DIY herb garden, DIY outdoor bed, DIY outdoor crafts, DIY outdoor day bed, DIY stacking planter, fence frames, glow in the dark pathway, hanging fence frames, herb garden, outdoor glow paint, outdoor penny ball, Penny ball