Wednesday March 21, 2012
Spring storm safety checklist
Prepare for storms that may spring up this season with this checklist to keep your home safe!
- Have your roof inspected for leaks and missing or loose shingles as they may cause water damage to your roof or attic.
- Check your windows for leaks then caulk accordingly. A small leak in your window could cause major damage to the walls and floors in your home.
- Make sure your gutters are clear of leaves and obstructions as they could cause flooding and are also fire hazards if lightning strikes.
- Cut back trees from the home and remove dead or broken tree limbs.
- Anchor decorations, loose shutters, or lawn accessories such as portable sheds and kids’ play equipment.
- Pick an emergency room — a central location on the lowest floor of the home with the fewest number of windows such as a small bathroom or closet.
- Make sure the emergency room is prepared with a radio, flashlight or candles, batteries, emergency bag or survival kit, and a non-electric telephone. Don’t forget your pets when stocking your room.
It’s time to spring your clock forward an hour, which means it’s also time to take care of semi-annual home safety tasks, like changing batteries on smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Here’s a checklist to save you some time:
- Expired chemicals in the garage
- Expired medications
- Soaps and detergents
- Beauty products
- Cleaning products
Is it alive?
- Smoke and CO detectors
- Fire extinguishers
- Emergency flashlights and weather radios
How do you prepare for spring storm season?